Navigation

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Since My Last Post...

  • A young Hopi christian couple married
  • An incident in the village
  • A trip to Phoenix to pick up Mom (who was taken to Phoenix 3 days earlier in the middle of the night to be flown to a funeral)
  • I started considering taking up sewing machine repair
  • School was started
  • Found wild grapes and made juice
A lot has happened although life doesn't seem as busy as usual. The weather has cooled down considerably in the past week or 2 and it is starting to feel like fall.
I found 1 John 2:15-17 to be very convicting lately as well as this devotion:
And now, my beloved friend, I want to tell you of what I think the Lord
would have you do before entering upon your proposed work for Him. And it is
just simply this to abandon self to His keeping, and accept His will in
place of all self’s desires. Your troubles all come from too great a care
for self. And in a work of the kind before you, there will be so much to
hurt self and cause it to suffer, that unless you can have it put to death
first, you will have a hard time of it I fear.
I mean by dying to self that you must get to the place where you will not
care what happens to self. Where you can be misunderstood, and
misinterpreted, and maligned, and insulted, and trampled upon, and be
content with it all. You may say this is impossible; but is it not just what
we are commanded to do; “For even hereunto were ye called: that ye should
follow His steps, who when He was reviled, reviled not again; when He
suffered He threatened not; but committed Himself to Him that judgeth
righteously.” (1 Peter 2:21-23) We are literally to walk in Christ’s steps, “as He walked,”
and this leaves no room for the self life.
Now, dear friend, I think if you will make a definite surrender of this
inner self, let it all go into God’s care and determine from that point on
to pay no more attention to its claims than if it did not exist, but to let
the Lord alone care for them, you will have a wonderful deliverance.
—To a Friend, May 11, 1881


Some pictures:Answer to Quiz: Methuselah

1 comment: